Multae Sententiae is Latin for "many thoughts". Free thinking leads to Enlightenment. Enlightenment leads to happiness...

The-Brights.net

Sunday, December 05, 2004 CE

Can you not believe in god and be a good person?

There is a huge post electoral debate in the US about "moral values". Fundamentalist Christians seem to have taken possesion of everything that is good in human behavior. Lets be very simple here. I will start by defining concepts. The word moral is related to the goodness of a human action, as opposed to immoral which the opposite. A value is a principle, standard or quality considered worthwhile or desirable. So a moral value can be better explained as a principles related to goodness in human actions. Well, if we start there, we can now safely say that being religious, i.e, going to church every Sunday, praying at the dinner table, reading the bible every night does not guarantee goodness in the behavior of human beings. For example, a moral value is truthfulness. We all agree on that. How likely is a religious person to lie compared to a non-religious one?. Another example of moral value is justice. How likely is a religious person to be unfair to someone compared to a non-religious person? I would say that we cannot tell for sure. But what I can tell for sure is that the likelihood of a religious person discriminating a non-religious person is greater than the likelihood of a non-religious individual discriminating a religious one. This would go against the moral value of equality, the one that says that all of us are equal. Someone who does not believe in god, in many cases believes that all people are equal and understands the real meaning of a moral value is. If religious people decide as a group to be more tolerant, then they will embrace the moral value of tolerance and add one to their list. People who do not believe in god, can be good people. Why is that so hard to make people understand?

1 Comments:

Blogger Marrissa said...

An interesting point... and I agree with you. There is one part I think I can dispute at least based on my own personal experiences-- "But what I can tell for sure is that the likelihood of a religious person discriminating a non-religious person is greater than the likelihood of a non-religious individual discriminating a religious one." 10 years ago I would agree with you. However, and possibly it is because I live in Austin, a city where it appears there are more agnostic, atheist, and what I like to call "anti-christian" rather than "non-Christian" individuals than any other city I have ever lived in. I hear the phrase "Damned Christians" more than I hear "How are you?" Anti-Christians seem to be very agressive with their opinions. I am always very careful not to enter a conversation about religion (despite my doing so here in a roundabout sort of way) due to the fact that I think the ability to accept, to excercise a "live and let live mentality" of the above mentioned people towards Christians are far more agressive and condemning than even Fundamentalist Christians. Again, my own experience. Personally, I think the argument is absurd. It is the equivalent of being angry that someone saying broccoli is the best vegetable. Silly people. I wish I could see an end to this debate, however it pre-dates almost every other argument in the history of mankind. And who knows, maybe THAT'S what killed the dinosaurs. ;)

12:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page tracking
Dell Laptops Computers
Content copyright protected by Copyscape website plagiarism search