Multae Sententiae is Latin for "many thoughts". Free thinking leads to Enlightenment. Enlightenment leads to happiness...

The-Brights.net

Monday, December 27, 2004 CE

Tsunami



I was apalled by the incredible death toll of the last tsunami in the shores of the Indian Ocean. I just find very hard to imagine the level of destruction. I cannot imagine myself in a situation like that. I guess it is a reminder of the power of the forces of nature and of the need for cooperation between countries. In this case what is needed for the future is an alert system, like the one that exists in the Pacific Ocean. The whole situation reminded me of what happened in Peru, my country, May 31st, 1970. Due to an earthquake, a huge block of ice fell from a mountain into a lake. The lake overflowed and a gigantic avalanche covered up an entire town. The remians of the town can still be seen.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The death toll may be particularly high due to the fact that this is the first time in over 100 years that a tsunami of the Indian Ocean has struck land, leaving the affected countries unprepared and the people unable to recognise the telltale signs of an impending tsunami. The last tsunami in the area was caused by the eruption of Krakatoa in 1883." Wikipedia

I hope the relief agencies are overwhelmed with all of our giving. Most relief agencies accept donations online making it quick and easy.

I've added a link to your site and will be visiting from time to time. Thanks for adding mine.

Dianne
http://diannemaire.tblog.com/

6:50 AM  
Blogger Doctor Marco said...

Thanks for the comments and thank you, Dianne for adding me. Do you know a safe site for online donations?

7:15 AM  
Blogger Maria Cristina said...

I saw a show about that incident in Peru, it aired on the National Geographic channel some time ago... that was horrible.

The following are accepting donations for aid they or affiliates will provide to those affected by the deadly tsunami in Asia.

http://www.msnbc.com/modules/interactive.asp?id=/d/ip/tsunami_aid_04/data.js&navid=6758618

2:55 PM  
Blogger Doctor Marco said...

Thanks Cristina. I used the CARE site is very user friendly. I liked your blog, keep your nice job!

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page tracking
Dell Laptops Computers
Content copyright protected by Copyscape website plagiarism search