Multae Sententiae is Latin for "many thoughts". Free thinking leads to Enlightenment. Enlightenment leads to happiness...

The-Brights.net

Thursday, January 06, 2005 CE

Not recommended



In my flight to Peru I read this book from Dan Brown. Although I was already disappointed by "The Da Vinci Code". I decided to give "Angels and Demons" a try. Let me go into my analysis.

It is very easy to read. Do not expect great literature, remember Dan Brown is not Gabriel Garcia Marquez. The actions described in the book are interesting, but too fantastic (more than in the Da Vinci Code)to be taken seriously. The end of the book is very bad. I will not tell you what happened, just that is an overused type of ending.

With respect to the scientific background, it is well known that antimatter is made all the time in particle accelerators. Particle collisions are done all the time. The idea for storing antimatter is interesting, but if it were as simple as it is mentioned it would already have been done. I know it is just a novel, but some people might really believe it and that is a real problem.

There are some important historical facts that are correct, specially the ones regarding the history of the Catholic Church and the relation of the Sun´s worship and Christmas. Morover, I learned about the Illuminati. The book gives the wrong message when it suggests that science and religion can accept each other when they are the exact opposite. The scientific method does not have space for faith and religion is all about faith. A scientist can have faith in a god, and, so as it does not interfere with his or her work, it is ok.

As a summary, I do not recommend it, but you should judge for your own self.

6 Comments:

Blogger Crystal said...

Nope-your review is enough for me. I also appreciate your explanation as to why I don't need to bother. How about sharing about your trip to Peru?

4:11 PM  
Blogger Doctor Bean said...

My wife read it and hated it.

3:14 AM  
Blogger birdwoman said...

Curious as to what you didn't like about DaVinci Code...

I thought it was a fun read, though not the best thing since sliced bread.

(*)>

8:14 AM  
Blogger Doctor Marco said...

The Da Vinci Code is very entertaining, it carries many concepts that are correct, but mixed with fantastic elements that render it dangerous.

11:20 PM  
Blogger Marrissa said...

On some points I agree with you. However, I enjoyed both books. You are 100% correct, it is not great literature. The fact of the matter is the that the book itself is ironic. You said there is danger that people believe things that might not be real. You are correct in this. But... that's the premise of the book. For thousands of years people have believe not what was real, but what was presented as real by people in religious power. Those books both tested and affirmed my faith. The historical information provided in those pages was priceless in itself. Very complete, I probably will never find those truths in such a compact place again. Thank you for posting the other side to my opinion. ;)

2:55 PM  
Blogger Doctor Marco said...

I also thought they were interesting and easy to read. The fiction part could be easily taken as truth. It is true that Dan Brown said that also, however I heard many people very excited about the book, talking about Jesus´ relatives in France and stuff like that. And the other thing I did not like is that Langdon seems to have an IQ of 200 or something like that, too smart to be even part of a novel.

10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page tracking
Dell Laptops Computers
Content copyright protected by Copyscape website plagiarism search